What is a USI?
All students doing nationally recognised training need to have a Unique Student Identifier (USI).
The USI is a reference number made up of ten numbers and letters that:
- creates a secure online record of your recognised training and qualifications gained in Australia, from all training providers you undertake recognised training with
- will give you access to your training records and transcripts
- can be accessed online, anytime and anywhere
- is free and easy to create and
- stays with you for life
Your USI will give you access to an online record of the training you have done since 1 January 2015. You will also be able to produce a comprehensive transcript of your training.
If you are a new or continuing student undertaking nationally recognised training, you need a USI in order to receive your qualification or statement of attainment. If you don't have a USI you will not receive your qualification or statement of attainment.
You will still need a USI if you are only completing part of a course, a module, or a single unit of competency.
If you are an international student studying offshore and do not intend on coming to Australia to do your study you do not need a USI. However, if you are an Australian expat or resident student studying offshore with an Australian training organisation, you will need a USI.
If you are an International student who will be studying in Australia you will require a USI. All international students in Australia will have been issued with an Australian Visa. Once you have arrived in Australia your visa will be activated and you will be able to apply for a USI.
A USI is for life! You only have to create it once.
You will need to apply for your USI online by visiting www.usi.gov.au. It should take less than 5 minutes to complete.
If you are not sure if you already have a USI, you can go to the Find my USI page to check - https://www.usi.gov.au/faqs/i-have-forgotten-my-usi
- Australian Passport
- non-Australian Passport (with Australian Visa)
- Australian birth certificate (please note a Birth Certificate extract will not be accepted)
- Australian Driver’s Licence
- Medicare Card
- Certificate Of Registration By Descent
- Citizenship Certificate